In 1980, seven volunteer fire companies as well as the Exempt Firemen’s Association of the City of Kingston joined forces to create a museum that would celebrate past volunteers and would ensure that the remaining volunteer companies would have a meeting hall for their use.
The Henry Sleight House, a beautiful example of Dutch Colonial and English Colonial building styles, was built prior to 1695 on a triangular lot within the stockade district. Burned by the British along with the rest of the Stockade, the house was later rebuilt and occupied by Village President Hendricus (Henry) Sleight.
The Tobias Van Steenburgh House is located on Wall Street in Kingston, New York. It is a stone house built around the beginning of the 18th century.
It was one of the few buildings in Kingston not burned by the British in 1777. A large plaque on the front of the house notes this. In 1999 it was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
The Trolley Museum of New York (TMNY) has been in downtown Kingston on the Rondout Waterfront since 1983. TMNY became an established attraction on East Strand just as the area started its rise as a popular tourist destination and evening dining hot spot.
Now the Trolley Museum is a top thing to do for all visitors to the vital Kingston Waterfront!
thing to do
The first New York State Senate met here in September and October 1777 when the building was the home of Abraham Van Gaasbeek. Built in 1676, it is the oldest public building in America.
The Rondout Lighthouse located on the Hudson River at the mouth of the Rondout Creek is actually the final of three Rondout lighthouses. The first lighthouse, made of wood, was built in 1837 on the southern shore of the creek.
The city's oldest institution, the congregation was organized in 1659. The 1852 Renaissance Revival style church, designed by Minard LaFever is its fourth home. Noted 19th century designer Calvert Vaux called the architecture "ideally perfect." The churchyard contains tombstones dating back to 1770, and the grave of New York's first governor, George Clinton, an Ulster County native.
The only museum in New York exclusively dedicated to preserving the martime heritage of the Hudson River. Indoor and outdoor exhibits on hudson River maritime history, gift shop, and waterfront special events.
Hours: May - October 11am - 5pm except Tuesdays
One Rondout Landing. Kingston, NY 12401
Phone: (845) 338-0071 Website: www.hrmm.org
A Federal style house, cir. 1812, built by John Sudam, a state senator and friend of Washingston Irving and President Martin Van Buren, who were overnight guests. The elegant interior features 8 rooms of the Fred J Johnston Collection of 18th and early 19th century furnishings and decorative arts, mostly American.
Hours: May thru October, Saturday & Sunday 1-4 pm Admission $5
63 Main Street, Kingston, NY 12401
Phone: (845) 339-0720 Website: www.fohk.org
The houses were where Samuel D. Coykendall kept his coaches and later his automobiles. Although not offically landmarks, they are a highly visible part of the rondout neighborhood.
12 Augusta Street Kingston, NY 12401
Tip: Located near Chestnut
Arts & Crafts | Performances | FREE
A Christmas Carol
Performances | FREE
Amazing Reptiles: 2 shows, 10:30 A.M. and 11:30 A.M.
Feb 02 2015 737 Parks
Aug 26 2015 739 Museums
Aug 25 2015 740 Parks
Aug 25 2015 758 Museums
Aug 25 2015 760 Parks
Aug 26 2015 769 Museums
Aug 26 2015 771 Museums
Aug 25 2015 780 Parks
Aug 25 2015 783 Museums
Aug 27 2015 784 Eats & Treats
Aug 27 2015 800 Eats & Treats
Nov 17 2015 805 Music (Playing Instruments)
Aug 26 2015 807 Eats & Treats
Sep 10 2015 808 Railroads & Boats
Aug 25 2015 808 Museums
Aug 26 2015 809 Eats & Treats